Tuesday, May 02, 2006

I went to a party Mommy....

With school graduations and summer break coming up shortly, children will no doubtably be celebrating their freedom from school...possibly going to a party. Please talk to your children about the dangers of drinking alcoholic beverages. This poem was sent out by MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Drivers) as a reminder of the dangers of drinking and driving.

I went to a party mommy.....

I went to a party,
And remembered what you said.
You told me not to drink, Mom,
so I had a sprite instead.
I felt proud of myself,
The way you said I would,
that I didn't drink and drive,
though some friends said I should.
I made a healthy choice,
And your advice to me was right.
The party finally ended,
and the kids drove out of sight.
I got into my car,
Sure to get home in one piece.
I never knew what was coming, Mom,
something I expected least.
Now I'm lying on the pavement,
And I hear the policeman say,
the kid that caused this wreck was drunk,
Mom, his voice seems far away.
My own blood's all around me,
As I try hard not to cry.
I can hear the paramedic say,
this girl is going to die.
I'm sure the guy had no idea,
While he was flying high.
Because he chose to drink and drive,
now I would have to die.
So why do people do it, Mom
Knowing that it ruins lives?
And now the pain is cutting me,
like a hundred stabbing knives.
Tell sister not to be afraid, Mom
Tell daddy to be brave.
And when I go to heaven,
put " Mommy's Girl" on my grave.
Someone should have taught him,
That it's wrong to drink and drive.
Maybe if his parents had,
I'd still be alive.
My breath is getting shorter,
Mom I'm getting really scared.
These are my final moments,
and I'm so unprepared.
I wish that you could hold me Mom,
As I lie here and die.
I wish that I could say, "I love you, Mom!
"So I love you and good-bye.

6 comments:

Susie said...

Very touching and so appropriate for this time of year. The high school my grandson will attend (Catholic) sponsors an all night party where the graduates stay in one space with loads of parent and teacher chaperones. It has lots of wonderful corporate sponsors, great prizes, games, food, music, etc. NO DRINKING!! The kids love it and each year it grows and grows.

Rachel said...

Very appropriate for graduation time. Seems they are having more things for teens these days to keep them inside and not on the roads, which is good.

I loved your last post too F(I'm behind in my reading). The pond is so nice. I've always wanted one of those. Does the cat ever catch any goldfish??

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Rachel...the cats have NEVER caught a fish yet, although they have fallen in trying.

Sue & Rachel...Most of the Highschools now have lock-down and offer great incentives for the kids to stay in...
BUT lets not forget the college students who celebrate their graduations.

And also there is the indescriminate teen party for no occasion whatsoever, the unsupervised summer break with both parents working and the general atmosphere of partytime.

If you talk to your kids and show them the dangers of drinking, it couldn't hurt...after all how many times do you have to remind them to clean up their room...over & over...So why not remind them of the dangers of drinking over & over...and tell them to say NO.

Merle said...

Sandy ~~ This is a great poem with a
story to warn against drink driving.
It is so sad after doing the right thing
this young girl had to die.
Take care, Merle.

The Four Bears in the Woods said...

I have read this poem before and everytime I read it it gives me cold chills. It is so sad.

Lillee said...

I really like this poem