Monday, July 24, 2006
Bees Prefer Pepsi
Saturday, while attending Dylan’s birthday party in the city park, I had a close encounter with a bee. While chatting with a young couple a bee kept buzzing their drinks…the man was drinking a Pepsi, their young daughter a Mt.Dew and his wife had water.
The bee buzzed in & out of his Pepsi, so he covered it with the water container…the bee still kept buzzing the Pepsi can, even though the Mt.Dew sat right beside it and was open. The bee wanted no part of the water or the Mt.Dew. His wife took her water and the Mr. Dew and left the area, leaving him to cover his Pepsi with his hand.
The bee was relentless, so he gently pushed it away, but it always came back. He finally gave up, took his Pepsi and fled the area…the bee leaving with him. We all chuckled and decided that even bees prefer Pepsi to Mt.Dew.
Later, I got thirsty and got myself a Pepsi out of the cooler…you can see where I’m going with this. I roamed around and exchanged pleasantries with several in attendance and then settled down onto a picnic table to talk with Laura…I put my drink on the table and would occasionally take a drink.
The birthday song was sung to Dylan as he played his little guitar, and sang along. He had no interest in blowing out his candles, but just wanted to play his guitar and sing. The wind finally blew out both his candles and the cake was cut. I reached for my can of Pepsi, took a drink and was immediately STUNG on the tongue…OUCH !
I had a napkin and quickly got the bee out of my mouth…he was moving really slow…I guess he really didn’t like swimming in Pepsi as much as he thought he might. The acid probably hurt him a little too.
I gave the napkin with the bee to Jimmy to release into the grass and then I asked Jimmy to please remove the bee’s stinger from my tongue, which he did. I didn’t say anything to anyone except Laura, who was sitting beside me and saw the whole thing, and of course Jimmy.
I didn’t want to cause a commotion; I knew the signs to watch out for so I sat there while my tongue began to swell. In a moment I had a terrible headache, only on the right side of my head and then in a few moments, my left hand became numb. In a little while my head quit hurting and I got the feeling back in my hand, but now I had slurred speech from my swollen tongue. I didn’t go into anaphylactic shock and for safety’s sake, I should have gone to the Emergency Room for a shot of epinephrine, especially since I had gotten stung on the tongue.
I was lucky this time, tempting fate a little. Twice before I have been stung by honeybees and each time there was LOTS of swelling. I got stung on the finger and my WHOLE arm swelled up to my shoulder and another time on one of my toes and my leg up to my knee swelled up.
Either the Pepsi toned down the bee’s venom or it was a yellow jacket and not a honeybee…