Tuesday, January 07, 2014

A Night Of Thought

In the last two days I have been on the phone for hours at a time.  It has been my lifeline to the outside world which seems to be encased in ice cold weather, North, South, East or West, it doesn't matter.  Everyone is feeling the frigid temperatures, some much more than others.  As I lay in my bed last night, worrying about Hemi, a tomcat that is not house-broken and had to be left outside, my mind also drifted off to those cities with a high rate of homeless people who have no where to go, and I thought of our spare bedroom, the couch and the two love-seats, the two recliners and how many people could sleep here and take shelter out of the cold.  It made me feel bad that only Jimmy and I were in here, all cozy and warm, with six cats who we gathered up and were holding hostage against the frigid temps.  I know that there are homeless shelters which are over crowded, but in this great nation of ours, why are there homeless people?  Why doesn't everyone have a warm place that they can call home?  There are so many empty and vacant houses, so why isn't it a priority to put homeless families in rent and utility free housing?  I wouldn't mind paying a special tax just for this purpose, how about you?

No comments: