Thursday, June 29, 2006

Show of Hands

I live near a quaint little college town…Berea, Kentucky. It’s much too quiet for most folks, but just the perfect place for me.

Our town likes to think that we would all be willing to lend a hand when necessary, to someone in need…and we do. So this is why the display of the helping hands is perfect for our little town. Berea is also a town known for its arts and crafts. Every year they take down the hands for the winter months and then start putting them back out in the spring.

Below are four of the hands on display…they are approximately 7 feet tall and you can’t miss them…So lets have a “show of hands!”




This is a close-up of the last hand...I just thought you might like to get a closer look at the eye.

The "Show of Hands" are scattered in different locations around the town. They haven't finished putting all of them up yet...these are the only 4 which I have seen so far.

11 comments:

Susie said...

What a great community based idea!
Such creativity here...
(and I love how it promotes the concept of people helping each other)

Granny said...

Very nice. Do I remember a college around there? Berea rings a bell for some reason.

I messed up and my blog isn't working Trying to fix it.

HORIZON said...

Love this idea behind these hands- wonderful. It is nice to find a place where you belong and are happy to settle in. You all sound like the neighbours l would like to have.
Take Care,

TUFFENUF said...

Hey the hands are neat looking. I have noticed that different cities have adopted these "theme" sculptures. In Norfolk, Virginia it is "mermaids". Same as with the hands, decorated by different local artists and used as fundraisers for different charities. Thanks for sharing the photos.

TJ said...

Wow...really neat and unusual...I grew up hearing of Berea but never know someone from there.
:-D

bornfool said...

That's a very nice tradition. They are quite colorful, aren't they.

doubleknot said...

Sounds like my sort of town. Things just grew up around us.
The hands are so neat. Why do they take them in in the winter? I guess the cold could crack them. The person who came up with this idea is very creative.
Have to add this - just how long do they have to make the word verification - seems just five clear letters would be enough. Need to post on this.

Carole Burant said...

Such a wonderful idea and so very meaningful. It sounds like my kind of community...I love living in a small town where people are willing to help each other!

Susan Tidwell said...

Love the helping hands!

Tim Rice said...

Hey, this is neat!

Rhodent said...

Chicago has their cows, you have your helping hands, and my town of Clearwater has Sea turtles. It is so much fun and such a wonderful idea!