Friday, June 30, 2006

Sis's mystery tree???

This is Sis...she is Jimmy's sister and she has a tree in her front yard that her son Harold gave her, but no one knows what the tree is called. It's already about ten feet tall and Sis says it gets really tall and then dies back down every year. It sounds like a weed to me....a really tall weed...but it's not.

Below are several pictures of the tree and maybe one of you out there in blogland will know what it's called. All I know is that it came from Tennessee and grows freely there. Take a look.

This is the top of the tree.
The mature leaves are flat and heart shaped...these are towards the bottom.
Curled up leaves...We've had plenty of rain, so it's not shriveling up because of lack of rain. Sis said that this is how they grow and that's why she liked it because it was so unusual looking. It does look very exotic with its curled up leaves.
The trunk is first green when young and then it turns into a brown looking soft woody trunk.
New tiny leaves come out fuzzy.
Then the leaves curl up. It would make a great rain forest tree because it could catch water in its bowl shaped leaves.

Do any of you know what this plant/tree might be called?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

No idea, but I wanted to say it's a very interesting tree. I like the top leaves - how they curl in. I'd like to know what it is. Would you let me know if you find out?

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what that it but I realy like it. I have never seen one like that.

Carole Burant said...

Hmmmm...you sure it's from this planet??? lol I've never seen one like this before but oh my, how interesting looking it is!! Hopefully you will be able to find out what kind of tree it is!!

Susie said...

I sure don't, but Zoey at Perennial Passion is a whiz when it comes to plants http://perennialpassion.blogspot.com/
Her garden is magnificent!

Finn said...

Hi Sandy, sorry to be missing..computer problems that I think I have now fixed..I have my fingers crossed!!

I don't know your tree at all. Nothing I've ever seen. You'd think it would have a hard time establishing woody growth on it's trunk if it dies back every year...hmmmm?
Did want to say I knew Berea immediately when I saw your post below. Years ago there was a very active homestead type school there, probably still is. Teaching homesteading skills. I actually bought broom corn seed one year and grew the type corn that can become those primative brooms that were made at home before profession brooms became available...your article brought back good memories..*VBS* Hugs, Finn

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Sandy,
Thanks for stopping by my blog.
I am afraid I have never seen anything like this plant!
It is certainly interesting and I will be watching to see if anyone can identify it.

manababies said...

That is very exotic. From the first photo it is definitely stands out. I hope this mystery is solved... I'm just as curious as you are!

TJ said...

No idee, Sandy...but it is exotic looking!!
:-D

Granny said...

How odd. I lived in TN for a little while and I don't remember seeing one.

sonia a. mascaro said...

What an amazing and exotic plant! Unfortunately I have no idea. I will send the photo to my son (he is engineer agronomist) and let's see.

And thank you so much for your nice words about my Flame Vine.

Ava said...

I don't know either. My friend Larry is a bit of a plant whiz ... I'll send him over to take a look.

Ava

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Larry Ayers...thank you for naming Sis's mystery tree...We will be watching out for those beautiful blooms next spring.

Tim Rice said...

That is a neat tree! Never saw anything quite like it before. Glad it's been identified.

doubleknot said...

Uh oh - so glad it has been identified - I was thinking along the invasion of the space trees. It certainly is unusual looking. Maybe Sis could try covering this winter so it won't die back and may set some blooms.

Kerri said...

That sure is a wierd looking tree! I've never seen anything like it before. Glad Larry has solved the mystery and identified it for you.
I love the leaves, the way they're fuzzy when young, and then how they curl up and form a bowl. Very neat and very interesting!