Thursday, May 22, 2008

I can't hear the sound of the bee's

So what did I do today? Absolutely nothing that would be of any interest to anyone. I washed some of the cat's blankets, comforters & quilts and put them away for next fall. It's finally getting warm around here....not hot, but just really nice.

I've been spending most days outside just enjoying being alive, pulling weeds and admiring the flowers. I've also been keeping a close watch for honeybees, or the lack of any. The flowers sound funny without the buzzing of bees. I saw a few bumblebees fly from bloom to bloom, but not as many as there used to be. It's got me a little worried about the health of our planet and our overuse of pesticides and chemicals, along with all this bio-genetic manipulation of our food.

A few years ago I was worried about all the hormones they feed the animals used for our food...to make them grow larger, quicker. I have always been a believer of the old saying, "You are what you eat."

But now my main concern is worldwide famine.

2 comments:

Susan Humeston said...

I've noticed the same thing - lack of bees. They seem to be picking up a little here in South Florida. A few years ago, we hosted a nest of honey bees in a gourd bird house we had hanging in the back yard. We loved having them. The year after that, the house next door had bees in the wall right next to our house. The day they swarmed I was sitting outside in my back yard - I heard this loud buzzing and looked up - they flew over me in a cloud, dropping bee poop as they went (which is yellow like honey and funny smelling - not really stinky).
After that we didn't see honey bees for a long time. They used to be on my Mexican Heather all the time.
This past spring, I've seen more honey bees. They are on the clover in the grass and on the firebush. Everytime I see one, I'm so happy - there are more than last year so far. I used NO pesticides on anything - I have lousy grass, but I don't care. Grass is non-native and it is silly, in my opinion. Some of my plants get problems with parasites, but I do the best I can without any poisons.

Kerri said...

Maybe the bees are all up here. I've seen plenty!
The diversion of corn to make ethanol is what's causing food prices to be high...and people in Haiti, for instance are starving because of it. We need common sense to prevail over the whacko environmentalists...and politians.
The world has enough food but has a shortage of freedom. Too many dictators in too many countries...Haiti, Zimbabwe, N. Korea, to name a few.