Saturday, February 28, 2009

New Gadget

Have you seen this new gadget called a kindle 2? Well, it might not be new, but it's new to me. I think it's nifty and this might be a nice gift for Jimmy because he reads so much. Of course I could use it too and I might get into reading books that I don't normally read. Let me be honest here. I only read whatever I can find on my computer.

We have a problem with over flowing book shelves and this gadget might just be the answer to de-cluttering our house of the many books that are scattered everywhere. I swear to you...this is true...Jimmy has bags & bags of paper back books stored in the building outside, we have so many books. He normally takes books he has already read and sells them to a used book store and brings home more.

Think of all of the paper that can be saved, and all the trees by doing all of our reading of newspapers, magazines & books on the kindle. Has anyone tried it? If so let me know how you like it and if you feel it's worth the price.

I do see one draw back with this device. There will no longer be any newspaper to wrap dishes & breakables in when we move or store them, or to line bird cages with if this thing catches on.

9 comments:

tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

Everyone that has one likes it. You just buy a book from Amazon and it downloads onto your Kindle via your USB port.

TUFFENUF said...

My brother got the Kindle and likes it. I just recently got rid of all my books (about 100) thought that I probably would not read them again.

Anonymous said...

my goodness, scott may like one of those.I still like the old fashion way of turning the pages by hand.
But I would love to try anything new for free.

Judypatooote said...

Sandy, Sandy, it's just not the same.....it shows only a page at a time, I like to look at the book to see the end.....but to each his own.....yikes what is this world coming too.....LOL judy

Rachel said...

I gotta agree with Judypatoote! What will they think of next?? I can see how neat it would be and cut back on the clutter, but more technology! I don't know......

... Paige said...

I like the feel of paper in my hands. Holding a book in the tub with bubbles to my nose, yes, but not a kindle.
I sure it is a passing fad like the telephone, television and 8 track.
Soon enough we won't need any external devises just think it and viola- it will appear in our hard drive that is build into our brains. lol

Susie said...

My grandson was telling me about this. I think I prefer "real books!"

Kerri said...

It's a great device for those who can't see well because they can listen, but I too, like the feel of a book in my hands.
I also love seeing books on the shelves. We donate some of our books to the local library for their annual book sale, but we still have them all over the house :)
It's 8ºF outside this morning and we have a little snow covering the ground. The warmer temps will be so welcome when they finally come to stay!
How is it there?

scott said...

cool toy!!!!!! this is neat. but i still like a wall full of books too. guess i'm old fashioned.