Friday, May 07, 2010

Yesterday was not a good day

I woke up this morning in a much better frame of mind after yesterday's fiasco with the satellite. I see that I have two choices: I can call them and complain or I can just accept the setup as it is. I hate conflict so I'm going to make the best of it and leave things as they are for now.
There was some miscommunication between myself and Dish's customer service as to setup and which rooms would have HD programming. The cable guy told me that it was impossible with the work order he received and that I would have to schedule another appointment. I don't want another mess like we had yesterday so I think I'll pass and keep things as they are. My best TV did not get the HD programming and Jimmy said that surely someone we know can make the switch in TV's without calling in the DISH people. I tend to agree although the Dish tech told us that it couldn't be done because then the remotes wouldn't work. I doubt very much that you have to call Dish each time your TV quits working and you have to replace it with a brand new one, so it just stands to reason that the switch can be done.

Jimmy & I straightened everything up last night after our company left. We still have a few things to put away and then I can go on with my cleaning. Just as soon as the cable guy drove out of our driveway and even before we had a chance to push furniture back in place or anything, company stopped in for a visit and stayed all afternoon. It was quite a mess and with TV's pulled out and wires all over the place three little children under five ran around playing and it was not a good afternoon for company at all. Jimmy tried to enjoy his company but he was eager to tack up the wires and to get everything put back in place and because the company stayed so long we had to work late into the night. We also never got to eat until 9 p.m. because the Dish tech arrived at 10 a.m. and our company right after he left so we were both a little grouchy or maybe I should say "very grouchy!"

But as I said, today is a new better day and yesterday will eventually be just a bad memory. Today we are going to town to buy those HDMI cables that will tell the tale and answer our big question..... is the TV picture improved SO MUCH that it was all worth the effort, the large installation fee, the added monthly payment and all the aggravation? I'll let you know when I find out.

3 comments:

tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

The bad news: Do your TV's sets have HDMI inputs? If your DISH repairman said yes then you are in great shape.
Once you plug in the HDMI cable that is the only cable you need plus the electrical plug.If your TV's are HDMI ready then you will see a 100 percent improvement of the picture.
Yes the cables are very expensive but you will only need one cable per TV. They come in different lengths so measure the distance between the TV and the satellite box.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Dennis...Yes all of our TV's have HDMI inputs. As it turned out only your room & the living room will have the new HD programming. Laurel's will not but Laurel has the best tv or the one I like best in her room.
I had ordered HDTV for four TV sets and they only brought enough for two and that was the miscommunication between customer service and myself.

Motherkitty said...

Don't you just hate dealing with some nitwit that can't spell "miscommunication" and acts accordingly? That's why I always make them repeat what I want three times so I KNOW we're on the same page. Then I make them email the details so I can double-check what they are going to do. But, it's not just DISH that acts this way. We had problems with DirecTV a while back until I had a giant hissyfit in our back yard and threatened to switch providers unless they fixed it that minute. Needless to say, this time it worked and we haven't had a problem since. Sometimes the squeaky wheels gets fixed first. 'nough said on that score.

Now, when we come visit, I won't care one iota whether there is HD in the bedroom or not, as long as I can get Turner Classic Movies which is not in HD. So, don't worry, be happy.

See you soon.