Friday, November 12, 2010

We ride for food

Today we went riding.  It was sunny and warm with a predicted high of 75 degrees and I actually think that it might have gotten warmer than that.  I really don't know, but it was nice.  Our day didn't start out as we planned because first my bike wouldn't start so Jimmy had to go buy me a new motorcycle battery and put it on the charger for a while.  Then when Ron came over at 10:30 a.m. my bike was ready to go but to everyones surprise, Jimmy's bike wouldn't start and had to be jumped by Ron's bike.  Even though it seemed as though it wasn't meant for us to ride today with all the obstacles thrown our way, we went anyway, and I talked Jimmy into being the lead bike this time.  I love to follow more than I like to lead, but I can't be trusted to keep cars from splitting our group up because I'm not aggressive enough to keep cars out, so I'm always placed in the lead position.  As it turned out I only let one van come between us today, but it wasn't my fault and it was only there for a second or two.  That van was going to run over me if I didn't let it cross over in front of me so it could negotiate a turn to the left at the next light...it didn't have much time.   Don't worry, it wasn't a close call or anything like that.  It all happened in heavy traffic in the big city of Lexington while Ron was in front leading the way and Jimmy was picking up the tail end.  You gotta watch out for those Lexington drivers because they know where they're going and know how to weave in and out through heavy traffic, something which I don't do.  I know where I'm going and what lane I should be in and I stay there...no weaving for me, and especially not on my bike...I'm too vulnerable and don't have enough steel surrounding me for protection.  In my younger days I used to be a dare-devil, but now I'm a chicken at heart and don't like getting hurt.

Anyway...we had a nice ride getting to Lexington via Lancaster and Nicholasville today.  The ride wasn't too long but just enough to make me want to take another one soon while the weather remains mild for this time of year.  Hope that your day was as enjoyable as mine.

No comments: