Monday, December 20, 2010

Working Together

This afternoon we're working together to breakup the ice in our driveway and getting ready for another winter blast later on in the week.

Jimmy breaks up the ice and my job is to scrape it off to the sides and over the bank.  Maybe the sun will do the rest.  In the last few years we are lucky to have snow that has lasted until the next day.  Usually the snow is gone by the afternoon, but this year we weren't expecting the snow to stay so we didn't shovel it off the driveway and as everyone drove over it, it turned to ice.
One of our neighbors started this effort one morning around 4:30 a.m. when he couldn't get his truck out of the driveway to get to work.  A relative of his went out to help him try to dig out followed by Jimmy.  The neighbor, after an hour of digging and trying to put lumbar underneath his wheels finally managed to get his truck straightened out enough to be able to back it back down the sloping driveway.  With his relative on the main road as a lookout for on-coming traffic, he was able to get some momentum and keep right on going.

The main roads are clear but many people are still trapped in their homes because of ice covered driveways, and there are still many side roads that haven't even been touched by snow plows yet.  We're getting a little break in the weather this week with temperatures barely above freezing and tomorrow it's expected to rain making already icy roads and driveways much icier.

I've been baking and freezing what can be frozen for Christmas day when all the kids, grandchildren and great-grandchildren will be here.  Today I should have all the Christmas cookies finished and tomorrow I will start on candy making.  I make two kinds of fudge, peanut-butter and chocolate, and Jimmy will make his old fashioned fudge, then it will be time to go shopping for our food for Christmas day.  I will be making a couple main dishes from scratch, and lots of little tidbits to eat and snack on throughout the day.  I can't wait to see everyone again.  It's always nice having the kids drop in and out all day long on Christmas day and I'm really looking forward to it.  Christmas is my favorite holiday of the year and I hope that I have time to make everything that I want to make.  Merry Christmas Everyone.  

No comments: