Sunday, December 11, 2011

Baking Choking Cookies

Today I'm baking what the kids call, Mom's Choking Cookies, otherwise known as Pecan Sandies. They named them that when one year someone took a bite of one of the cookies and took a breath at the same time. You just can't do that because of the powdered sugar coating, it'll choke you every time, no joke! Now I have to put a warning label on each batch I give away warning the "Eater" not to breathe while eating the cookies.

The cookie recipe is below.  It's a recipe that I got out of the Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book:

PECAN SANDIES

Cream together:

1 cup butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
2 teaspoons water

Add to creamed mixture:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup of chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325 f

Roll dough into small balls about the size of a walnut and place on an ungreased cookie sheet  and bake for about 20 minutes or until the cookies begin to brown at the edges.  (In my oven it takes them 40 min to bake).  Cool and roll in powdered sugar to coat.

After baking and before I roll the cookies in the powdered sugar I freeze them until the day before I'm going to serve them.  At that time I put some confectioners sugar in a small plastic bag and throw in a few cookies and shake them gently around until they are all coated.  And Wallah!   You have some of Mom's famous Choking Cookies :)

The recipe is simple too, and simple and easy is what I like!


No comments: