Tuesday, May 10, 2022

She's like that bunny that just keeps on ticking, and never stops

 Callie and I went shopping yesterday, and for an 80 year old she is quite spunky.  After the first couple of hours I couldn't keep up with her, and had to sit and rest some.  At first it wasn't too bad, but as the day wore on I was in so much pain that I couldn't go on any longer, so we had to cut the day short.  We got to her house and Kathy unloaded all of Callie's stuff sometime after 7:00 p.m. and, by the time I got to my house it was almost 8:00 p.m. I had been gone from my house for nearly 11 hours.  I was never so glad to get home.

This morning Rick babied me a little by bringing my coffee to me.  He can be so sweet at times, and that's the Rick that I fell in love with.  That's why I have to ice my back and get healed up today, so that I can help him with the mowing.  It would be a shame if he had to do it all and still work 40+ hours per week at his construction job.  We work good together.......at times, haha, and other times I just have to stay out of his way.

Getting back to Callie......She surprised me with this beautiful top for taking her shopping yesterday.  I love it!  

Besides admiring every flower and plant in Richmond, Ky. yesterday with Callie, we stopped and ate at Olive Garden.  I think Callie loved it.  She spoke to other patrons who were having lunch within ear-shot of us, she thanked the bus boy for her wonderful lunch and complimented him on his beautiful restaurant, and she raised her hand and called our waitress to our table at least ten or more times; to the point that I noticed that our waitress started avoiding us.  I finally had to tell the waitress candidly  that Callie didn't get out much and to please forgive us for bothering her so much. 

   


Callie also insisted that we tip our waitress $5 each, which made it come out to a 25% tip for me.  Of course, Callie ordered two more hot meals To Go, so her tip was probably not enough actually.  

When we first arrived at Olive Garden and were placing our order, Callie gave our waitress her whole life story, and the poor waitress had to stand there and listen the whole time, and I guess out of sheer desperation, the waitress then gave Callie a free dessert of her choice, so I guess sometimes you get rewarded for being so annoying, even tho Callie is very sweet too.  She just doesn't know when to stop talking.

    


Callie's last words about the restaurant were, "We won't forget this place, because of the coffee with the curdled cream."  

Someone from the kitchen came out 3 times to bring her a new cup of coffee, so finally the last time they came out they told her that they were going to stand there and watch her put the cream in her coffee to make sure that this time it didn't curdle.

It was quite an experience going out to eat with Callie and I guess you could say  that it was one that you wouldn't want to repeat again for at least another year.  Of course this was just the start of the day, and believe me, it was a very long and painful day for me.  We had already made two stops and maybe if I hadn't been in so much pain, I would have enjoyed it more, but Rick & I had gone grocery shopping the evening before and I was tired from that still.

Callie had lots of stops and places that she wanted to go to after we ate, and finally the very last stop was to the grocery store, so at Kroger's she picked up her prescriptions that we had dropped off earlier in the day because I had heard that they take 2-3 hours to fill them, and I sure didn't want to wait that long.  Callie then slowly and tediously picked up and priced each grocery item as she put them in her grocery cart.  It seemed to take another 2 hours to grocery shop.  When she had gotten all of the things on her list, we went and found a bench, sat down and added each item up, then she counted her cash to see if she had enough money left from all of her other stops to pay for the groceries.  She barely did, but when she went through the checkout lane she picked up a magazine and when all was totaled up, she had to give back the magazine.  She really didn't buy much ($85.00) at the grocery store.  Prices are just so high now.  Rick & I could have picked up all of these things in 30 minutes, but Callie spent more time going from one end of the store to the other end so many times hunting for things she had passed up.  For about the first hour at Kroger's, I sat in the car until the pain in my back eased up.  Then I made the mistake of going inside to help her out.  I tried two of those handicap carts, but neither of them ran, so I had to walk around behind Callie for another hour or so.    

She could have shopped until midnight I think, and still had enough energy to stay up even longer.   She stays up all night sometimes and now I can understand why......that woman never gets tired.  I wish I had her stamina.

No comments: