Monday, January 02, 2023

The Christmas and New Years Holidays, the death of Jimmy Buffkin

 Thank goodness the holidays are over with.  They're just so hard and stressful these days, of course unless you have small children to keep the spirit alive.  Young children just get so excited about Santa and presents that it's hard for any adult with children to feel sad at Christmas, or at least it would seem so.  I may be wrong.

Rick baked the Christmas turkey and both of us had a very pleasant Christmas dinner all by ourselves...just the two of us.  On New Year's Eve we stayed home to welcome the New Year in with a bottle of non alcoholic sangria, and we watched other's on TV across the world welcome in 2023.  

Earlier on New Years Eve Rick had attended a Memorial Service for one of his co-workers, Jimmy Buffkin who passed away on Christmas Eve.  He was only 52 years old and such a nice and friendly guy.  I really liked him.  The holidays will never be the same again for his two sons and his wife.  Prayers for his family and his friends who will miss him very much.   

 On New Year's Day, Rick drove me to the new 16,000 foot house that they are building in London, Ky  It was very impressive, but having 3 finished floors with so many bedrooms, bathrooms and fireplaces is not my cup of tea.  It was beautiful, but for me I'd rather have something much smaller and only a one floor plan, because I don't like climbing so many stairs and this new home had staircases, and stairs everywhere.  Much too many stairs for me.  The basement level of this house is all I would need, and even that was really big, but actually that was my favorite floor of all.  The in-ground pool was on that level which made it even more perfect.  The lower level had everything I want in a house and at least 3 times the size of my house.  You could tell that this level was clearly made for entertaining lots of people, but then so was the next level up with its huge deck made for at least 50+ people.  Their parking lot outside their two large garages had ample concrete parking for about 40 cars to move about easily.  You could easily set up a large church revival tent on their parking lot, that was how big it was.  The house was set on 100 acres, with 3 fully stocked ponds, tennis courts, basketball court, woods and meadows with 3 deer stands scattered here and there.  Rick said that sometimes the deer would appear in the fields behind the house.  Their was a circle drive winding between the 3 ponds with a wooden fence and electronic gates to let you in and out of the property.  Below and beyond the pool area there was a large round fire pit.  These people had thought of everything.  I found out that they were moving into this house from their other home that has an indoor swimming pool, so I'm assuming that their other home isn't too shabby, but also a luxurious home as well, just maybe this home has more acreage.  I really don't know.

Anyway, this is how Rick and I spent New Year's Day at that new house under construction.  I walked up and down stairs looking around and exploring while he worked on the swimming pools with a long telescopic brush.  I don't know what he was doing, but that it has to be done everyday for a while to the bottom and sides of the inside of the pools.  It was the first time that I have been out of the house in weeks, other than to go out to feed the cat, and it was nice.

The week before Christmas we had below zero weather and on one of the coldest days our natural gas went out.  We got very cold but by evening the gas company turned it back on.  I worried about Squeak our kitty who got frightened by how I was bundled up when I went out to feed her and ran off.  I also scared her when I touched her plastic door and it snapped off making a large cracking noise.  That night it got to -21F with the wind-chill  and I didn't see her for the next two days which never got above minus single digits all day long.  I was very happy to find her one morning snuggled up tightly in her heated cat house.  What a relief that was to me.  She has a warm house in the backyard and a heated one for those extremely cold nights on the front porch.  She now has 2 heated water bowls because when she moved to the front porch I had to go out every 2 hours to give her fresh water and to retrieve the ice cube that was her previous water bowl.  Hopefully we won't have such frigid weather again, but winter is just getting started.  From one week to the next the temps jumped 100 degrees F.  We went from a -21 F to +69 F degrees in 24 hours and our daily temps have been nice since last Tuesday after Christmas.  Yesterday there were many motorcycles out riding, but today it's cloudy and 64 F degrees.

So far this New Year is starting out fine, and I hope it stays that way for the entire year.  I'm hoping all is well with everyone, and that Brandon & Krystal got moved in to her sister's without any problems.  Krystal now only has around 6 months to go in her pregnancy with my new great-grandson and their first child.  I know that Brandon & Krystal are extremely excited, and so am I.  I pray that all goes well with her pregnancy and with the baby.

I woke up very sore this morning from climbing up and down so many stairs yesterday, but now I'm feeling much better.  It doesn't take me long to recover with a couple of Extra Strength Tylenol.

Here's wishing everyone who reads this a Happy New 2023!


No comments: