Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Some phrases of Wisdom

1. If you are too open minded, your brains will fall out.
2. Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
3, Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you a mechanic.
4. Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
5. If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you’ve never tried before.
6. My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance.
7. Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
8. It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.
9. For every action, there is an equal and opposite government program.
10. If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.
11. Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of checks.
12. A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.
13. Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.
14. Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth. Deal with it.
15. No husband has ever been shot doing the dishes.
16. A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.
17. Middle age is when broadness of the mind and narrowness of the waist change places.
18. Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
19. Junk is something you’ve kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.
20. There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
21. Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
22. By the time you can make ends meet, they move the ends.
23. Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refrigerator.
24. Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.
25. Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Now, weren’t those funny? I have no idea who sent these to me, but thank you.

Last Thursday was my brother Dennis’s birthday and Jimmy & I paid him a little surprise visit for his birthday. I think he was very surprised to see us. We had a wonderful time while there and Motherkitty…true to form….fixed us the best homemade meal. I take that back…it wasn’t a meal, it was a FEAST. On our way home, Jimmy & I thought about that meal and wished we were right back there at the dining room table again. My mouth waters just thinking of it.

Here’s a picture of my brother and when I first downloaded it into my computer, I thought WOW…Dennis is getting to look like our dad. Then, I had a thought. If Dennis looks so much like dad, then when I’m 65 we’ll finally get to see what our mother looks like…or would have looked like, maybe. Just a thought. (For those of you who don’t know…When Dennis was 4 years old and I was 10 months old, our mother went out shopping and disappeared, never to be heard from again). I’m getting off track here.

Another thing that happened last Thursday was that I drove my trike, with Jimmy on the back, all the way across the state of Kentucky. I have been practicing for sometime now trying to build up my stamina for the trip to surprise Dennis on his birthday. It took 5 ½ hours to get there, but I wasn’t able to complete the trip home…Jimmy had to take over and help because my shoulders got too tired. I drove most of the way home, but as I neared Lexington I told him to just drive the bike the rest of the way home.

When we got home Friday, I went to bed early and wasn’t able to drive my trike on Saturday, so Jimmy took advantage of the situation and got me to ride on the back of his cycle. His two wheeler is actually a lot more fun, with all the leaning and narrow curvy roads we can travel on. The trike is really a lot of work…but I like the workout.

On Saturday when we got back from riding, the tail lights for the trike had come in so we went over and picked them up….Jimmy put them on for me and while running to the hardware store to get some mounting screws for the tail lights, he must have run over a nail or something because he came home and in about 30 minutes he had a flat tire on his motorcycle. Today we are hauling it over to the shop to get it fixed...it's the back tire that's flat.

In another bit of news…both Doug & Matt have infections due to problems with their wisdom teeth needing to come out. Both grandsons got amoxicillin on Monday and both just started new jobs and can’t take off work just yet. They both need surgery. Maybe the dentist gives discounts if you bring a cousin. *S* I doubt it.

You saw a picture of Doug the other day, so here’s a picture of Matt. He’s the silhouette in the middle.

The very first picture is of a church & a mill at Renfro Valley, Kentucky that I took while on a ride.

13 comments:

TJ said...

WOW...I had thought something like that might have happened to your Mom...you have hinted at it...how sad!
Well, I'm off to my doctor for now...I will return your email later!
Have a great day!!
:-D

Susan Tidwell said...

I hope you have recovered from your long drive, you are one strong lady! Love the picture of the mill and church.

So what did Motherkitty cook? I am getting hungry thinking about it too.

The Four Bears in the Woods said...

Nice post. I really liked #4. VBS

Congradulations on the long ride!

That would be nice if they gave discounts at the dentist like that! VBS

The Four Bears in the Woods said...

What I meant to say is that I liked #4 the best... although I enjoyed reading them all. VBS

somershade said...

Cousin Megan's wisdom teeth are bothering her and needs them out right now also.Uk dentist is great.

Jellyhead said...

Hi Sandy! I'm glad you had fun with your surprise visit to your brother and Motherkitty. It must have been a good feeling to take Jimmy for the trip, driving him all the way there and almost all the way back!

Those sayings are great! I especially like the one about being able to laugh at yourself - I personally laugh at myself often, and find it very amusing!

Hope you're having a wonderful week so far :)

Carole Burant said...

LOL I'm still laughing at those phrases of wisdom...too funny!! Hey you did really great riding for so long to get to your brother's place!! Glad you had a great time there...I can imagine how you felt when you realized how much Dennis looks like your dad...my brother Claude is the spittin' image of my dad and every time I see him, my heart skips! I had no idea about your mom...that's so terrible, worse not knowing what happened to her:-( You take good care of yourself and enjoy the rest of the summer days!! Hugs!

Rachel said...

Great words of wisdom in that list Sandy!!

I'm glad you surprised your brother. I'm sure that made his birthday extra special. All that driving. Whew! You'll have muscles in your arms like Popeye pretty soon!!

Too bad about the flat tire. At least it didn't go flat while he was riding it!

(We've been getting lots of rain today and yesterday!)

Susie said...

Sandy,
I'm so impressed that you rode 5½ hours to surprise your brother! Glad it was a wonderful celebration for such a milestone birthday.

Finn said...

Hi Sandy, let me just start by saying I am sooooo impressed by your very long ride!!!! And for such a wonderful reason...*VBS* You are a great sister. I think you and Dennis are lucky to have stayed together and to have each other. And I'll be you do look like your mom, only more beautiful..*S*
I think Dennis is a very handsome man and has aged very well from the picture next to the birthday cake to the one above in this post. Very distinguished looking. He wears his years well.
You take it easy and get rested and you'll be ready for another long adventure! Hugs my friend, Finn

Pamela said...

Sandy, I love motherkitty, and I had no idea you were related. I miss her comments and I see you have that same humor. lol Now I know, I'm too open minded, I am definitely experienced, and could be more blessed...how amusing! hehe

Where is motherkitty?

tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

Great post sis. I posted the pictues you sent on our family page.I have one more to post.
I liked the photo so well I used it as my blog photo. Thanks again for the great surprise from you and Kitten Yarn.
I still feel that great emotion of love that you both gave me.
Love you sis
Dennis

Kerri said...

What a wonderful surprise for your brother's birthday! You did extremely well to ride all that way. Yep, you're going to have arms like Hulk Hogan before you're through :) I can't even imagine being able to ride a motorcycle!
Great pictures! I love MK's porch...so pretty. Is that a butterfly bush?
Now, I'm off to sweep the room with a glance...... :) Beats vacuuming any day!