Wednesday, June 01, 2016

I need to be needed, so I volunteer my time

I spent a very enjoyable and productive day yesterday with a couple of friends.  Early in the morning we bagged up trash and then two of us mowed and the other used the weed-eater.  We got done in record time and just sat on the porch enjoying a cold Ale 8 One looking over the work we'd done and talking about how good it looked.  We were way out in the country, where it's so quiet that you can hear the buzzing of insects and the rustling of leaves on the trees.  

I love doing things like this.  No one asked for my help.  I was just told that I could come, sit in the shade and watch them work, but I couldn't just sit and watch them work, so I volunteered to pick up trash and one thing led to another and before anyone noticed, I was in there mowing.  Afterwards we all parted company, went home and showered.  Yesterday was very hot and we were all wet with sweat and needed a good shower and a change of clothes.

Later we met again and enjoyed a good home cooked meal at Jackson's Cafe in Richmond, Ky.  At the end of the day we went back to where our day had started and sat in the shade with a cold drink admiring a job well done.   (We drank Gatorade because none of us drink alcohol). 

No comments: